Tuesday, May 22, 2012

FAQ: What do I decide what to use?

Will Lion Retrieved May 20, 2012


By Bethany

Web 2.0 is amazing and can be adapted to nearly any purpose, but you only have so many places when you can focus your attention--both in the virtual world and in real life. So how do you decide what to focus on? There are 3 factors I consider when evaluating Web 2.0 tools:

What are my patrons using? A 2010 study by E. Cassidy et al. found that at their institution, Sam Houston State University, that students had a great interest in library presence in social networks like Facebook and accessing reference services by instant messaging, but little interest in library-sponsored RSSfeeds and Twitter. By doing an similar formal or information surveys, I can find out whether the online preferences of my library patrons matches SHSU or favor other services. My patrons are also feeling the technology crunch, and they aren’t going to necessarily jump to a new platform just because I’m using it to provide stellar content. When I can find the sweet spot between a platform I’m excited about and my patrons like too, Web 2.0 magic happens.

What do I like? Web 2.0 platforms are inherently personal. Your personality will leak out. (Can you tell?) Some people are more suited to the concise platform of Twitter; others prefer the ability to muse a bit on their blog. Some people like consolidating their private and public faces on one or two services; others prefer to keep them separate. Check out a lot of platforms so you can find one that suits your interests the best. However once you’ve found something, keep looking. You never know what service is just a launch away. Regardless of what you choose remember that Web 2.0 is a conversation. Don’t just share information; share yourself.

What are the expectations of my organization? I like to make sure my supervisor has a clear idea how Web 2.0 maintenance fits into my job description. If maintaining a strong collaborative presence is important to your director, then you might need to negotiate your other responsibilities or pull in more people to manage your library’s presence in different networks. Your online initiatives will get more support (and recognition) from your organization if they know what in fact you are doing and more importantly how it’s getting people excited about the library.

For more reading, check out:

Jones, J. (2012, March 8). How to learn the basics of digital technology.” Retrieved from: https://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/how-to-learn-the-basics-of-digital-technology/38885

Koltay, T. (2011). Information Overload, Information Architecture and Digital Literacy. Bulletin Of The American Society For Information Science & Technology, 38(8), 33-35.

Moorefield-Lang, H. (2012, March 22). When your technology dance card is full.” Retrieved from: http://letterstoayounglibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/03/when-your-technology-dance-card-is.html

1 comment:

  1. Bethany,
    Thank you for your suggestions :) I completely agree that we only have a limited amount of time and resources to use, so knowing how and when to use our resources is really important. I have accounts on the major Web 2.0 tools, but I definitely don’t have time for all of them.
    Finding that sweet spot between the Web 2.0 tools you enjoy and the tools your patrons are using can be a difficult balance. Right now, I have accounts on Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and a blog. I’ve had the opportunity to connect to quite a few patrons throughout these various platforms. But, what I’m always wondering is if I’m missing the majority of my patrons on another social media site that I’m not aware of. It seems that the majority of organizations have presences on these social sites, but what if my patrons prefer texting or a podcast? Your post has once again reminded me that I shouldn’t blindly start posting to a social media outlet. I should spend some time finding out how many of my patrons are on that site, and how I can do my best to share and connect with them. Luckily with Web 2.0, there are stats, analytics, and other websites that can help you figure out where your audience is.
    A point I really appreciate is when you say not just to share information, but to share yourself. Joe Miller mentioned a similar idea in his lecture about the communities that are built around social networks, and how the community can shape how the community operates. With a limited time frame and information to get out, it can be so easy to slip into information mode on social media, and just hit people with news on upcoming programs, library services, and articles. Even though those things are important, that isn’t all people want from a 2.0 Librarian. They want a piece of you. Thanks again for the reminder!
    Finally, having the support of your superiors is a huge part of a successful social media presence. If your superiors don’t understand social media and the impact it has, then they won’t be willing to give you the time and support you need. But, if your superiors know what you do and how it helps the library, then they might be willing to let other staff and yourself keep reaching out and sharing the library with patrons that wouldn’t have been reached before.

    ReplyDelete